10 Common Reasons for Erectile Dysfunction
Erectile dysfunction is the inability to achieve and maintain an erection sufficient for satisfactory sexual intercourse. Once this violation was known as impotence. Today, this term is rarely used, is considered obsolete and has a condemnable undercurrent. Erectile dysfunction occurs in various forms:
- a permanent inability to achieve an erection;
- an inability to achieve an erection sufficient for penetration;
- an inability to maintain an erection long enough for successful completion of intercourse.
How often does erectile dysfunction happen?
Many men have erection problems. For some, these problems are not clearly expressed and do not arise often, for others - these problems are pronounced and occur often. Every tenth man between the ages of 18 and 40 is experiencing erectile dysfunction. Every second man aged 40 to 70 years old is experiencing erectile dysfunction.
What causes erectile dysfunction: 10 common reasons
Below you can see the 10 most common causes of erectile dysfunction.
- Depressive disorder. Excitation occurs primarily in the brain, which then begins to transmit signals to other organs and systems. Due to a depressive disorder, this relationship may weaken, causing impotence. Moreover, remember that some medications for the treatment of depressive disorder can adversely affect male potency and libido. Such drugs can disrupt the transmission of nerve impulses, which leads to this problem;
- Alcoholic drinks. Daily consumption of alcoholic beverages causes impaired sexual function. Fortunately, this effect is temporary, while alcohol toxins act on the body. Such drinks affect the circulatory system, disrupting the blood flow to the pelvic organs. Alcohol also worsens nerve reactions, which negatively affects sexual desire;
- Medicines. High blood pressure drugs, analgesics, and antidepressants can cause male impotence. Despite this, it is impossible to stop taking these drugs on your own - you need to consult with your doctor who will replace the medicine;
- Stress. Under the influence of stress, the work of almost all body systems and most organs is disrupted. The urogenital system suffers from it, and this is expressed, in particular, in the form of impotence. To regain male power, you need to learn how to get rid of stress and sleep for at least 7-8 hours;
- Anger. Because of anger, blood rushes to the head and, accordingly, moves away from other organs, including the organs of the small pelvis. According to sexologists, unspoken anger can provoke protracted problems in intimate life, which will be quite difficult to cure;
- Anxiety. Strong and constant anxiety is reflected in a person’s self-esteem, forcing him to avoid sex. In such cases, the problem becomes a vicious circle that only a psychotherapist can handle;
- Overweight. Due to excess weight, the level of testosterone (a hormone responsible for the quality of sex, libido) in the male body significantly decreases. Also, extra pounds disrupt blood flow to the penis, which can trigger impotence;
- Also, erectile dysfunction may develop due to self-dislike, lack of sexual desire, atherosclerosis, and diabetes.
How to prevent erectile dysfunction?
- Give up bad habits. First, quit smoking. For this, you can use special applications. Secondly, moderate the consumption of alcohol or even give up alcohol. Of course, drugs should also be abandoned. If you cannot do it yourself, seek qualified help;
- Watch for your weight. And if you have gained weight, get rid of extra pounds;
- Keep to the Mediterranean diet. Since erection problems are often associated with heart disease, consult a healthy diet. Avoid fried foods, red meat and fatty dairy products that increase the risk of cardiovascular disease. Eat more vegetables, fruits, fish, and whole grains instead. With this diet, you can lose weight at the same time;
- Measure the pressure. You may not even realize that you have high blood pressure until you check it. Do this regularly, and health problems can be avoided;
- Practice sport. Physical activity is good for the cardiovascular system, helps to combat excess weight and to relieve stress. So you kill three birds with one stone. At the same time, you do not need exhausting workouts to maintain sexual health. Even a daily 30-minute walk is enough to reduce the risk of erectile dysfunction;
- Track your testosterone levels. They gradually fall from the age of 30. If it turns out that you have a low testosterone level, your doctor will help solve the problem;
- Do not take anabolic steroids. It would seem that additional testosterone cannot harm an erection. But exactly the opposite. While you are taking artificial hormones, the body stops producing them independently. And when you refuse drugs, you will feel all their negative effects;
- Learn to deal with stress;
- Consult a doctor. In case of serious violations, only a specialist should prescribe treatment. He can also detect the diseases that led to erectile dysfunction and advise on medications that can cause it.